In 1930, San Francisco voters approved a charter amendment to increase taxes to fund the construction of the Anza Branch Library. Using the site of the old Lafayette School, architect John Reid, Jr., designed and landscaped the new branch building. The new branch was dedicated on April 10, 1932, with 11,823 new books on the shelves. Total cost for the building and its furnishings was $57,117.29. Anza Branch Library was the 17th branch established in the San Francisco Public Library system. The branch closed temporarily for renovation in May 2009.
The Anza Branch reopened on Saturday June 18, 2011. Renovation highlights included a small addition, new accessible restrooms, improved public and staff spaces, new elevator, a designated Teen Area, revamped program room downstairs, more computers, better lighting, and new & refinished furniture, shelving, and materials displays.
San Francisco Public Works
City Hall, Room 348
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102