The existing two-story historic Carnegie Funded library is a Classic Revival design by architects Bliss & Fayville and constructed in 1914. The existing building is centered on a 240’ x 150’ site spanning the block between 9th and 10th Avenues, mid block between commercial districts Clement Street and Geary Boulevard.
The existing building consists of a monumental reading room which was restored to its original condition including the reconstruction of the historic ornamental ceiling. The new work includes the construction of a 4,000 square foot expansion consisting of a symmetrical pair of two story new building wings on either side of the existing building. The wings are low in height and set far back from the existing 9th Avenue front elevation so as not to compete with the historic structure.
Also, a glazed gap between the wings and the existing building helps to differentiate the original building from the new work. In addition, a low, glazed “winter garden” was constructed covering a portion of the 10th Avenue elevation. The “winter garden” provides space for the stairs, elevator and horizontal circulation in an “invisible” glass circulation link so as to minimally interfere with the existing historic 10th Avenue building facade.
This project was delivered on behalf of the San Francisco Public Library. For more information, please visti the Branch Library Improvement Program (BLIP) web site.
San Francisco Public Works
City Hall, Room 348
1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place
San Francisco, CA 94102