Weekend Grinding & Paving
Public Works is scheduled to continue grinding and paving operations along Potrero Avenue this weekend. The next phase of grinding (removal of existing asphalt from roadway) and paving is scheduled for Saturday April 8, 2017, and will include Potrero Avenue between 22nd St. to 21st St., including the 22nd St. intersection.
In an attempt to minimize the impact to area residents and the hospital, the contractor will grind and repave the block and intersection the same day. However, in order to complete both phases the same day, crews will need to work extended hours. The work hours on Saturday, April 8th, will be 7 AM to 7 PM. The Potrero and 22nd Street intersection will remain open at all times to emergency vehicles and buses. Other vehicles may be rerouted to 23rd Street.
On Saturday, residents along 22nd Street (Vermont to San Bruno) and San Bruno Avenue (22nd to end) may need to use Vermont Street to access their driveway. This block of Vermont Street (23rd to 22nd) will be set-up with cones and signage to support two-way traffic during work hours. We will also have flaggers available to help direct traffic as needed.
- Sewer main installation work continues on Potrero between Mariposa and and 17th streets. The mainline work should be complete the week of April 10, 2017, and will be followed by sewer lateral replacement on the block. Swer laterals are the connection between the mainline and sidewalk. Laterals are replaced on an as-needed basis as determined by city engineering staff upon video review of the lines.
- The contractor continues work on the new center median.
- Crews are also busy installing irrigation lines between 25th and 21st streets.
- Installation/construction of new concrete bus pads continues along Potrero Avenue north of 21st Street.
- The contractor is also busy installing new pole foudations on Potrero between 21st and 17th streets.
*** Please note, due to the nature of construction, there may be additional phases of construction work occuring at any time. Please contact us if you'd like additional information or details. ***
The Potrero Avenue Roadway Improvement Project is a collaboration between neighbors and several city agencies (Public Works, SFMTA, and PUC) to improve safety for people walking and biking, maximize infrastructure upgrades in the area, and to help beautify Potrero Avenue. The final design for roadway improvements is the result of five community workshops, valuable public input, and the neighborhood voting for their preferred option for transforming Potrero Avenue. Option 1 emerged as the preferred design alternative for Potrero Avenue. The Potrero Avenue Roadway Improvement Project will also bring a revitalizing facelift to the public space adjacent to the SF General Hospital with pedestrian safety improvements, wider sidewalks, new landscaping and new street lights.
Preferred Option Community Letter, Dec. 20, 2013
Scope of Work
- Potrero Avenue, repaving Alameda Street to the 101 On-ramp (map) / The streetscape improvement work will happen on Potrero Ave. between 21st and 25th streets.
- 22nd Street, Hampshire Street to Vermont Street
- 23rd Street, Potrero Avenue to Vermont Street
- Vermont Street: 22nd Street to 23rd Street
- Hampshire Street: 24th Street to 25th Street / The work at this location will be limited to the Muni overhead wires and poles.
Community Open House #4: Thursday, November 7, 2013
Community Open House: Tuesday, September 24th, 2013
Community Workshop: Tuesday, July 30, 2013
Community Meeting #1: Tuesday, March 26th