Main menu

Street Space


A street space permit grants permission to temporarily occupy a portion of a public roadway or sidewalk for building construction and other construction related work. Material and equipment may not occupy more than 1/3 of the roadway width and not more than 1/2 of the sidewalk width unless an additional street space permit (pdf) is granted per Article 15, Section 724 Public Works Code. Street space permits are issued at 1660 Mission Street, 5th Floor and may be contacted at 415-558-6060. The street space permit fee calculator may be used to estimate the permit fee for your project.


When a street space permit is needed

A street space permit is required for any occupancy within the public right-of-way for construction and other purposes.  Examples include:

  1. New construction 

  2. Major renovation of existing structures 

  3. Minor building repair including roofing, scaffolding, landscaping, etc. where the public street or sidewalk is occupied 

  4. Reserving parking in the street for use related improvements to the fronting private property 

  5. Placement of contractor offices, portable toilets, and/or equipment, debris boxes in the public right of way 

Once you have received an approved street space permit, you be allowed to place construction material and equipment ONLY along the boundaries in front of the property. You are not allowed to use the sidewalk or roadway in front of any other property. In addition, you can only utilize 1/2 or less the width of the sidewalk as well as only the designated parking lane. If there is no designated parking lane, you are allowed to use only 1/3 of the width of the roadway. 

IMPORTANT: You cannot occupy any area outside of the designated street space permit limits unless you are granted an additional street space permit: Article 15, Section 724.7 Public Works Code. If you cannot meet the restrictions stated above, e.g., you do not have any parking available in front of the property, or, if the sidewalk is too narrow to allow for both construction materials and pedestrian accessible access, you will be required to obtain an additional street space permit.

*Exception:  When you have obtained a Mobile Storage Container permit.


Where to get a street space permit

Submit an application through the Public Works Bureau of Street-Use and Mapping representative on the 5th floor located at 1660 Mission St. A fee is applicable - see fee schedule. Street space is charged at twenty-foot intervals.  Additional fees and administrative action may be required if more space than the maximum allowed by the Public Works Code is requested.       


What you need to do next

You may not legally occupy the space under the permit until a street occupancy meeting has been conducted and the agreement signed by the applicant.  A street inspector will verify the “No Parking” sign and placard are properly posted.  Until “No Parking” signs are verified and noted on the Public Works database, DPT will not provide enforcement or “Tow-Aways” at the construction site. 

 An Inspector will contact you within ten business days to schedule a site visit.   ALLOW 10 BUSINESS DAYS TO PROCESS YOUR REQUEST.


General Permit Requirements

Public Works will provide a copy of a fact sheet summarizing many of the common concerns and regulations for the worksite.  Call (415) 554-5810 to request a copy of the regulations which include:

  1. A four-foot minimum clear width for pedestrian path of travel is maintained at all times. 

  2. The public right of way is maintained clean and free of sand, dirt, litter, graffiti, and equipment. 

  3. Clear access for Police and Fire Department equipment including call boxes, fire alarms, hydrants, mains, and valve covers is maintained. 

  4. Parking and traffic signs and signals, signal control and pull boxes may not be included within in the affected right of way. Allow space for DPT access.  

  5. Unobstructed, clear visibility to any traffic signals and signs is maintained 

  6. MUNI Bus zones, and Department of Parking and Traffic “No Parking” limitations remain in effect and must be observed. 

  7. A 4’ 6” minimum clearance is required from the outer rail of railroad tracks. 

  8. Place Public Works Placards in a conspicuous location and post construction “No Parking signs” along the ends of the occupied streets/sidewalk. 

  9. Violations of Public Works Code may result in the imposition of a financial penalty.  Nonconformance to any related City regulation may result in the revocation of the Occupancy permit. 


Establishing construction zones

In order to utilize the parking lane for construction related purposes a street space permit must first be obtained.  The permittee may then obtain permission to restrict parking using the following rules for posting temporary "Tow-Away, No Parking" signs upon verification at the job site.  The City provides the notice placard only.  The notice placard is to be mounted on private property in such a manner so as to be visible from the street frontage.  The Inspector verifies the information and posting. 

  1. Tow-Away Signs are installed by the permittee:
            • Place signs in such a manner that the maximum spacing between signs is no more than 20 feet.  
            • Signs may be attached to parking meter posts or
            • Place signs flat on wood or aluminum or other approved material, and attach them directly on solid barrier fences, and/or
            • Mount the signs securely to existing poles, posts, type II barricades as per Cal Trans specifications, or on construction fences. 

  2. Signs must be in place in accordance with DWG.  A-32400. (Revision 3) of the standard plans, with the following information shown on each sign in clear and legible condition:  Street space permit number, effective times, effective dates, name of contractor, limits of zone (i.e. directional arrows on end signs) and San Francisco Public Works Hotline number (415-554-5824). 

  3. Signs must be place at least 72 hours in advance of the date and time of occupancy.  Obtain Bureau of Street-Use & Mapping verification at least 72 hours in advance of any tow-away requests to DPT.  Please call (415) 554-5824 to request sign verification without BSM sign verification, DPT will not tow-away.   

  4. If additional time is needed to complete construction, an extension of time must be obtained from Bureau of Street-Use & Mapping within (7) days of the permit’s expiration. 

  5. The contractor shall maintain the signs on a continual basis and shall replace damaged or missing signs daily or as needed. 

  6. "No Parking" signs cannot be modified or altered. 

  7. Any infractions or deviations from the above may be grounds to revoke the construction zones and the occupancy of the ROW. 

  8. Remove all signs and mounting materials immediately following completion of construction/activities.  

  9. Parking of private vehicles is not permitted in the construction zone during the effective  hours of the zone.  The purpose of construction zones is for construction activities only, such as loading and unloading of materials, special equipment occupancy, storage of materials, etc.  Worker’s parking is not allowed within the reserved street frontages. 



Violations of Public Works code may result in the imposition of a financial penalty. Nonconformance to any related City regulation may result in the revocation of the occupancy permit. Violations of these requirements may be subject to financial penalties of up to $1,000 per day. 


For More Information

For more information or clarification on any of the permit requirements, please contact us at:

San Francisco Public Works • Bureau of Street-Use & Mapping 
1155 Market Street, 3rd Floor • San Francisco, CA 94103 • Map
Telephone : (415) 554-5810   Fax: (415) 554-6161
Office Hours : 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

Monday through Friday, except official holidays

Note: all cash and check transactions must be submitted before 4:00 p.m.