Main menu

Temporary Occupancy



Anyone who intends to temporarily occupy a portion of the public roadway and/or sidewalk is required to obtain either a Street Space or a Temporary Occupancy Permit: Article 15, Section 724 Public Works Code. Temporary Occupancy Permits are generally issued for non-building construction activities lasting less than 7 days (a longer duration may be requested/approved on a case by case basis). Exception: Mobile Storage Containers need to obtain a Mobile Storage Container Permit. 


A Temporary Occupancy Permit is Required For:

  • Cranes 

  • Tree Trimming trucks, equipment and facilities (i.e. Chippers). 

  • Lift equipment (i.e. JLG Boom and Scissor Lift equipment). 

  • Refrigerated Shipping/Storage Containers 

  • Monitoring Well Sampling work. 

  • Working in and around any manhole. 

  • Large Structures used in Public Events and Venues (i.e. Carnival Rides, Media Equipment, Stages) 

  • All other temporary facilities, equipment and material not covered above. 

  • Private Catering Event 


Where to Get a Temporary Occupancy Permit

Bureau of Street Use and Mapping
1155 Market Street, 3rd Floor
Permit Processing Hours are 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Telephone: (415) 554-5810
Fax: (415) 554-6161 


You may not legally occupy the roadway or sidewalk portions of the public right of way until you have completed the following:

  • Please allow 3 business days for processing and printing of tow away signs. 

  • Application for Temporary Occupancy Permit. Note: Permit needs to be approved and registered a minimum of 72-hours in advance in order to have towing priveleges at the subject site. 

  • Submit a detailed space layout plan indicating a minimum 4-foot path of travel in residential areas. and a minimum 6-foot path of travel in commercial areas. 

  • Pay all fees. Reminder: Your permit will not be approved until you have received confirmation that all fees have been paid. 

  • Submit a Certificate of Insurance for general liability coverage of not less than $2 million endorsing the City and County of San Francisco as additional insured with the Bureau of Street-Use & Mapping address as the Certificate Holder. 

  • A copy of any applicable ISCOTT approved Street Closure Permits. Please contact SFMTA- Traffic Engineering at (415) 701-4500. 

  • Night Noise Permit may be required in conjunction with other Public Works permits for work taking place between the hours of 8:00 pm and 7:00 am. (See Police Code, Section 2908/Night Noise Requirements

  • Post your SF Public Works “No Stopping Tow Away” signs 72-Hours in advance 

Special Traffic Permits may also required: See SFMTA Blue Book requirements. All submitted plans, applications and attachments shall comply with all rules, regulations and guidelines set forth by DPW Order No. 165,716. 

Log-In here to apply for your Temporary Occupancy Permit if you have an account 


Single Day Use for Mobile Food Facility 

In situations where a mobile food facility is requested for a private catering event, a temporary occupancy permit can be issued. Please submit:

  • Temporary Occupancy permit application

  • A written authorization letter from the event sponsor/fronting property owner stating the request, time, location, date, and statement that there will be no cash transactions and the mobile food facility will only service event patrons. 

  • Must bring in a Certificate of General Liability Insurance with the City and County of San Francisco as an additional insured for a minimum of $2,000,000 

  • Minimum 3 Business Days for approval and permit activation. No exceptions will be allowed. 

  • A current copy of Department of Public Health's Certificate of Sanitation 

  • A current copy of the San Francisco Fire Department Permit/Decal 

  • A current copy of San Francisco Business Certificate 

  • A current copy of DMV Registration

Towing A Vehicle

Contact the SFMTA Tow Desk at (415) 553-1200. All Tow-Away signs are provided and installed by the Permittee. All Signs must be installed a minimum of 72 hours in advance of the date and time of occupancy. 



Temporary Occupancy Permits are issued on a per-block face, per-day basis and include SFMTA meter fees. See Fee Schedule. Fees are collected at 1155 Market Street, 3rd Floor, San Francisco, CA 94103. You will not be issued a permit until you have received confirmation of payment. 



Violations of this Permit and/or Public Works Code may result in the imposition of a financial penalty of up to $1,000 per day. Nonconformance to any related City regulation may result in the revocation of the Temporary Occupancy Permit. 


For More Information 

SF Public Works • Bureau of Street-Use & Mapping 
1155 Market Street, 3rd Floor • San Francisco, CA 94103 
Telephone : (415) 554-5810 • Monday-Friday - map 
Operating Hours : 8:00am-5:00pm 
Permit Processing Hours : 7:30am-4:00pm